Hunting With The Vincents In The Selous August - September 2006

Part V

The camp staff going crazy thinking we have shot a lion as we drove into camp. This is called the KABOBI, and normally done when a cat is shot. Today Walter shot a zebra, which is an incredible feat, so we fired our rifle just before we got to camp, so the staff know something important has happened!

Walter being carried around with all the music. Alan said the camp staff won't believe us any more! I bet they are still scratching their heads at Walter's antics.

I am sure some of you won't believe this. These two fingers belong to two different animals. The top is of the large croc we have shot. The bottom is of a bustard bird, which Enrique had around his neck

Walter being assisted by Dwight and Todd to put the meat on the stick ready for the BBQ

A baboon spider. Apparently they can give you a nasty bite

We followed a herd of buffalo one morning, and caught up with them as they were crossing a dry river bed. Some have already got across, and some were still behind. To the right of where you see this bull lying is an outcrop of rocks that jots out into the river bed. With trees growing on them. The bull is lying on a path animals use to pass behind those rocks. We saw this bull about 100 yards from us, walking towards us. Trouble was the bush was too thick to take a shot at him. We tried getting closer, and he was doing likewise. We stopped just behind the dark trunk you see to the top left of the photo. And as his head became visible I put a bullet into it. The bullet hit him in the right eye, dropping him in his tracks. We ran after the rest of the herd trying to shoot another one. And as we usually do, I put another bullet into this one for insurance. We followed the herd and eventually shot the white faced bull you have seen above.

Two birds feeding in front of our camp

An African scorpion. One that can give you a very nasty sting

Giraffes posing for the camera

We are getting ready to shoot our last buffalo. They are on the other side of this river, by the tree line you see in the background. The bull we wanted was lying down. I did not want to chance a shot at him in that position, so waited until he got up. I put a bullet into his chest. He ran off, and I put another one in as he was running. He dropped. He was still alive when we got to him, and a final bullet finished him off.

His tail was hanging as you can see

Saedi posing with our last buffalo of this year

Vultures and marabou storks sunning themselves in front of our camp after having fed. We used to leave the bones out for them, which they enjoyed picking on

There was a pool of water by the border of our concession, and several hippos were making it a home. I took this photo as had lunch right next to them

We found this dead warthog, and Alan decided to present it to Walter. It was a perfectly WALTERABLE pig.

One of the zebras we shot had this old wound in his stomach. Look how well he has healed.

Walter and Enrique have been listening to the hyenas feed at night. Here they are trying to imitate them

Saedi preparing one of his favorite meals - buffalo stomach

It is always nice to get very close to buffalo. Especially as they are such hi-strung animals and difficult to approach.  In this instance we had the opportunity of meeting four bulls that did not wish to be disturbed in their mid-day siesta. We followed them for a while, and found them lying under the trees you see at the top of the photo between the rifle barrel and Roy. One was standing, but, he was not the one we wanted to shoot. Our target was lying down, and all we could see of him was the outline of his back and tail. They were about 40 yards from where I was standing. Roy thought he would try to see if there was an opening if we got closer. But, as we were worried the one standing up might see us, Roy volunteered to go look. After this photo was taken, Alan and myself crawled to where you see Roy. Roy then decided that he will try to make the bull we were after stand up by throwing stones at it!

Roy crawled ahead of us, and threw a large stone at the buffalo, then putting his fingers in his ears with his head down waiting for the shot. Nothing happened. The buffalo would not budge! Roy threw another stone! Nothing happened. By this time I was not in any state where I could shoot, as I was trying my best to keep the rifle on the shooting sticks while at the same time trying my best to suppress my laughter! Tears were coming down my cheeks. This was contagious, as both Roy and Alan started laughing. The bull got up and took off with his friends, without offering me a chance at a shot!

We followed the bulls again, and, again, the one we wanted to shoot did not offer a clear shot. We waited until he decided to get up and walk to his friend. A bullet into his chest made him runa bout 12 yards and drop dead

Standing: Horst, Don, Anna-Marie, Rene, Roy, Alan, Leoni, Chriss and Rama.

Sitting: Walter, myself, Dwight, Todd and Enrique

As we have been doing for a  years, we have a shooting contest for our trackers, game scouts and some of the camp staff. This is Saedi, our game scout. You can see that he knows how to handle a rifle

Getting ready for the kick

Rama could not close his eye, so Walter thought duck tape would help!

Some of the contestants and spectators enjoying themselves

The 375/404 in full recoil. Notice how Rama lifted his head off the stock

Philip, one of our trackers, gripping the shooting table leg with his toes!

Coaching in progress!

More celebrations for a good shot

Mama Salama. She also needed the help of duct tape.

This is Honesty, he was so scared of the rifle he would not put his cheek on the stock. He never managed to hit the target. In fact, some of his hot were a few yards away from the tree the target was on

Our skinner had difficulty with the sun. Walter, as usual, had a solution. The best part is he only had one ear blocked!


Another one of Walter's solutions

Imagine the fun one could have if we had the 577 T.Rex for the contest!