Hunting In The Selous With The Vincents, August - September 2006

Part II

Hot water springs. You can see the steam rising behind where Dwight and Todd are standing. The water is relatively hot. Frogs jump into and die immediately.

Dwight with his buffalo and and PH, Pete

The bleached skull of a buffalo we have found lying on the plain, creating a great contrast by its white color relative to the black burnt grass around it.

We had a very hard time convincing Walter that this is the position one should aim for to hit the heart of walking away kongoni. We saw this bull with some impala. We tried to get close to them, and as we got to about 220 yards, they started walking away. As he passed through a gap in the bush, I shot him. He ran off a few yards and dropped dead. Walter came over and started chewing me up for hitting him in the ass! Roy kept telling him the bullet must have hit the heart, otherwise he would not be dead. The only way to solve the argument was to have an autopsy.

The proof, with the recovered bullet which was lodged in his neck.

We discovered something we never knew. The kngoni had a scent gland in between their hooves.

The smell was very similar to some gun cleaning products.

When we hung the kongoni on a tree branch to skin, I saw this dry branch with some hairs on it. It was about 5 feet high, and as you can see the hairs of zebra and wildebeest stuck on it as they rubbed their necks on the wood.

We followed a herd of buffalo, and saw a bull standing broadside in the bush. I fired a shot at him, clearly hearing the hit. He ran off and we followed. We kept seeing parts of him with lots of blood on his hind leg! That sure was not where I aimed to hit him. We found this piece of meat stuck onto the grass where he was hit. About 200 yards further, we saw him standing and another bullet put an end to him. It seemed my first bullet must have hit something and deflected. hitting him sideways in the hind leg.

He also appears to have had another wound there from a previous injury.

You can see the blood on his rear leg where the first bullet hit him as shown in the previous photo.

We found this waterfall, with the gap you see above. Roy and Alan decided to make a bridge, and cross the river this way.

Enrique and myself decided to take the easy way around, and we waded instead.

One morning we saw some vultures gathering, and went to investigate. We found this eland bull dead. There did not seem to be any struggle where he died, nor had he any injuries at all. We are still wonderting what had killed him.

Dwight and the gang with his impala

A poachers camp we have found being burnt

Dwight with his zebra. Anna-Marie, as usual, is holding the tail.

Our leopard. The concession is teaming with them. We saw 3 in broad day light. Their tracks are every where. And they fed on many of our baits.

We came to check one of our baits in the afternoon, and found this one feeding. He took off at our approach. We put our hide up, and sat in it for a while, he never came back.

Next day we went and sat in the blind in the afternoon, and just before sun down, he came along to feed. After the shot, he dropped from the tree. We thought we better wait a few minutes before going to look. And as darkness was approaching, we only waited about 5 minutes and went to look for him. There was so much grass and undergrowth under that tree, one would be hard put to find a buffalo, let alone a leopard. We approached the tree with rifles ready. We looked under the branch that he was feeding on, and saw nothing. There was a termite mound at the tree trunk, so Alan climbed it to have a better look. Still we could not see anything. By this time the truck arrived, and we thought we better get onto the truck and look with the help of the head lights.

Alan and myself climbed on top of the cap, and we drove slowly towards the tree. As we passed the trunk, we saw the leopard lying dead less than 2 meters from the front tire! Everyone breathed a sigh of relief, as none of us wanted to tangle with a wounded leopard in such a bushy area.

This bull was part of a group of bulls that lived in one area. They seem to like it so much they hardly moved more than a mile or so.

Walter and the impala he had to shoot to BBQ for us. He made such a wonderful job of it, that he was nominated to do it several times through the hunt.

A Giraffe in at full speed

Todd and his impala

Todd and his buffalo. It was raining as they shot it, as you can see

Lion tracks next to a 375/404 cartridge

Dwight and his wildebeest. This bull had a missing part of the front of his horns.

A Waterbuck bull walking down the river

Impalas and wildebeest feeding in the morning

A line up for a beauty contest

One of the many dry river beds. Totally impassable during the rains